Saturday, August 01, 2009

Something New, Something Blue

I'm working on acquiring a new craft. After checking out triloom weaving on the smaller loom I posted about the other day, I was fortunate to acquire a Spriggs Adjustable Loom from Carol Leigh through a destash sale on Ravelry. I have begun my first weaving on it. I'm using some yarn that was in my stash--Paton's Classic in Wedgewood. This is one corner, obviously. What is exciting about triloom weaving is that the other corner is woven in the same process as the warp goes across the loom. It's rather hard to explain, but there are several sites on-line, a group or two on yahoo, and some good books.


This is the loom itself. I do not have a wall to hang it on since my craft room is mostly windows. I tried an easel, but I did not like it. I didn't like having the legs to worry about, and besides, the easel I had (not the Carol Leigh one) collapsed. My wonderful husband figured out a way to use some metal telescoping tubing and make a hanger that lets me use one of the support posts in the craft room. It works great! (The loom could not go directly on the post because there is a step in front of it. The hanger extends the loom out to the edge of the step.) I am not working very fast, and I've had a lot of interruptions this afternoon, but I think I'm getting the hang of the process. I hope I am judging my tension correctly. If I err, I'll have either a really loose shawl or a much smaller shawl when it contracts. That's why I'm using stash at first.



Still knitting--Garter Rib Socks from Mountain Colors Bearfoot
Listening--Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell; The Defector by David Silva

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Well, have you named it yet?