Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's Almost Time

The turkey is in the refrigerator thawing. The celery and onions are ready to chop. The cornbread is ready for baking. And I'm ready for the last morning of school before the Thanksgiving holiday! We don't have a fall break in October, so it's a very long and busy time indeed between August and Thanksgiving. We are out of school on W, TH, F, and M, so this will be a welcome "rest and catch up" time. Our children's families will not be here until Saturday, so that will be our turkey day.

This year we have much to be thankful for--our health, our marriage (32 years next week), our country (even now, when we disagree with much that is going on) and the military personnel who keep us free, friends and colleagues, and above all, our children and grandchildren.

And then there are the little things--the Internet, copy machines, a smart room at school (see note below), freezers, electricity, firewood, and the list goes on and on.

Note: This is a clue to my age. I rushed out of my room between classes last week to go to the restroom, only to turn and rush back in automatically to "turn off the projector." My DVD was paused on the computer screen and being dutifully projected from the ceiling onto the big screen. I was just reacting to the mental image of film burning if it was stopped in one spot. How many years has it been since I've done that to a 16mm film? Since 1980 at least! Next I'll probably try to crank the copy machine!

No comments: