Saturday, February 06, 2010

"When you are old and gray and full of sleep. . . ."


William Butler Yeats by John Singer Sargent, 1908


Recently, there have been been several comments on a thread on Knitters Review about the use of a knitting needle as a murder weapon on NCIS and whether or not that would affect travel regulations regarding knitting on airplanes.





My question, however, is whether or not anyone has ever accidentally impaled herself by nodding off while knitting. A cold, foggy day between two storm systems, an extra-early awakening on a Saturday morning, a warm breakfast, and several more rows of garter stitch combined to lull me into a nap in the recliner this morning, needles in hand and afghan in lap. Actually, the coziness of the ever-larger afghan probably had something to do with it as well. I did have the presence of mind to press the record button when I started to nod a little, so I was able to eventually finish the episode of Sleuth that was weathered out by the ice storm the other night. When I came to this morning, however, another show was on that I didn't recognize, and when I laid my knitting aside to reach for the remote control, it wasn't there, but the channel kept changing. I kept wiggling experimentally, feeling for the spot under me where I was sitting on the remote, but I was unsuccessful. Finally, my grogginess dissipated enough that I noticed my darling husband sitting in a chair across the room snickering and holding the remote. Obviously, he needs a kitten and a laser pointer!





Yeats would probably not write about that as a romantic moment, but I'm glad we can still have fun together, even at my own expense.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Can Henrietta see laser pointers?