Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break Miscellany



First of all, can there be any better way of celebrating spring than watching a hummingbird hatch? Lots of people are watching Phoebe today. Since I'm a knitter, I can't help but wonder if some of the crowd got there the same way I did. Phoebe was Harloted last week.




For all you Shakespeare buffs or, I suppose, classical scholars, today is the Ides of March. Yes, I know the calendar has actually changed since then, but let's not be picky.




I still have not picked up my shawl again, but I do have some needle progress to show. Warning: this is crochet. I seem to have an unbelieveable amount of bits of good acrylic in my stash boxes, and I needed to make an afghan. I really enjoyed making those last two log cabins, and I think part of the pleasure was that I enjoyed the graphic and historical nature of the pattern--quilting adapted to a new form. I thought of trying another, but many of my "bits" would have produced only one strip, and I like the more "organized" log cabins. So I looked at granny squares and decided to try a giant granny square afghan. If I only have enough of a color for a single round, it will be ok. I found a lovely child's blanket on Ravelry by Indigoblue, and I'm using it for inspiration. (I really must learn to link to Ravelry.) I thought I read the tutorial carefully. Then I got out one of my mother's needles and went to work. I got this far:
The fabric seemed very loose. If you look between the shells, you can see what I was doing wrong. I was chaining three between every shell instead of just in the corners. Rather than rip out, I just started over. I also switched to a smaller needle.
Now I need some advice. Notice how the corners are curling a little bit? They do that on every row, but then they smooth out and lie flat. If any of you are experienced granny square crocheters, do I need to worry about this? The feel of the fabric on this second square is much more to my liking. Any hints will be appreciated.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I don't crochet, but I did get a kick out of the warning announcing it was crochet. Can't help you on the curling up though.

River Glorious said...

Curling occurs when you are either crocheting too tight, or you need an extra stitch. Check and see if you have 2 chain stitches in each corner.

I don't use chain stitches in between shells (groups of 3 double crochets) when I'm doing granny squares or using a "grannyish" pattern in crochet. Makes for a less holey material. :)

Nice work you are doing there. "Holler" if you need help...