Sunday, May 09, 2010

No Knitting, but Lots of Fun!--and a crochet pattern

I just spent a long--Thursday through Sunday--weekend with my two granddaughters, ages 3 and 7, while my DD and DSIL went to a homeschooling convention in Arlington. This marked the first time that the little one has ever been away from mom and dad overnight. Her older sister was away a night at a time while little sister was born, but there were frequent visits. I was a little bit worried, but we had a really good time. The only downside was the weather. We had lovely warm spring weather on Thursday, but the rest of the weekend was unseasonably cold--50s and 60s, with strong winds part of the time, which made things even colder. They played in the sandbox, did crafts, made Mother's Day cards for mama, watched too many movies. (Edit that: watched the same movies too many times. Can you say "backpack"? At least I know why that student in my 5th period class has looked familiar to me all year--he looks just like Diego.)


The little sister was endlessly amusing--3 is a wonderful age. Both children refer to my DH as "Grandpa Oreo." I probably don't need to explain that. The movie they were watching features a bad octopus who is dumping garbage in the ocean. She said she was scared of the octopus. I said that we had been to a new restaurant a couple of weeks ago and Grandpa had eaten an octopus. She frowned, wrinkled her brow, and whispered, "Was it an Oreo octopus?"


Once big sister figured out that her mom had left written directions to cover almost everything, she followed me around at critical points of the day saying, "Here's your list, Grandma, so you will know what to do." We made it just fine; however, when mom and dad walked in the door today, there was much clinging and sobbing.


In short, the sock never got out of the car! I'm back home now, but it's still in there.


I did take time to decipher a crocheted afghan pattern, I think.


The afghan appears to be made in strips, but it isn't. It consists of 15 "panels," 10 stitches wide, of half double crochet (American). Each panel is separated from the others by 10 chain stitches.

So a row would be:

10 HDC, *chain 10, 10 HDC* 14 times. Then you would have to chain howevermany stitches to make the turn (2?) and repeat the row, picking up only the back loop of each stitch. Continue until the blanket is the length you want. Then use a larger hook to crochet down the ladder made by the chain stitches. This gives a raised effect. A cluster of fringe goes in each ladder end. Someone gave this to my children as a wedding present, but I just had not had time to really look at it. It is a sturdy attractive textured pattern. Sorry I don't have a picture for you. If anyone knows the name of the pattern, I'd like to know it.

No comments: