Friday, June 11, 2010

Heirloom and Not-So-Heirloom


My grandmother Carrie made this quilt for me when I was very young. It is about 20" x 30"--just the right size to use for a doll blanket. It is cross-stitched by hand, and other than the bias tape around the edge, it is entirely made from flour sacks. In fact, the plain white back still bears the faded image of a star-shaped flour brand trademark. There is no batting, and the blocks are machine quilted along the seam lines. She would have stitched this on the old treadle-with-motor-added machine that I can just barely remember her having. I still own the Singer that replaced it. Grandma had a stroke when I was in elementary school that affected some of her sewing and needlework abilities, but I still have fond memories of sitting with her in her dining room in the afternoons--you could see all the way down Main Street from the double windows--and watching her crochet or having her help me learn to embroider. She did not knit. I learned to sew from my mother, the Singer sewing classes, and three years of home economics. I did not, however, learn to crochet from anyone, strangely enough. A friend taught me to knit when we were in 4th or 5th grade. My mother actually knew how to knit, and somewhere around here there is a set of needles, long and fairly fine, that belonged to her. She knitted during WWII and chose never to knit again afterward. She firmly told me that I wouldn't be interested in it anyway, and she was rather startled by the Aran sweater I knitted in college.


This is the Aunt May dishcloth from Homespun Living. Unfortunately, the yarn I used keeps the pattern from showing. I should also have dropped down a needle size because I am rather a loose knitter. I am sure that the usual cotton yarn shrinkage will tighten things up a bit--I think that's the dishcloth equivalent of "I think the blocking will take care of it." The yarn is Sugar & Cream in the color "Sunkissed." I know it was an odd ball I picked up somewhere because it hadn't even made it to my tote of cotton yarn. The pattern is easy. I think that I will make another one out of some yarn that does not have quite as much pattern, but first I need to use the other 1/2 ball of this.
Grandchildren are in the living room watching James and the Giant Peach. It seems like only yesterday that my daughter was in a junior high one-act production of the play. She was a bumblebee.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Yes, I concur - you need to go down a size on your needles. I love the pattern though- I went to the web site and a solid color gives the definition to the pattern. If you are like me I have so much of the cotton yarn, that I just go and pick some out of the closet when I am in "warshcloth" mode.

Love the quilt!