Tuesday, June 08, 2010

It's Here!


My Kindle2 arrived. I've been eyeing this product since it first came out. We're located miles and miles from bookstores, and even though we have an excellent public library, books that are published first in paperback require an expenditure of gasoline or shipping. I would spend a riduculous amount at Barnes and Noble getting reading material in a hurry that I just thought I might like. I'll have to exercise some self-discipline in my purchasing, but I think the Kindle will be a good investment for me. I have charged it and downloaded a book--In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming--the first of a series that I think I will find interesting. I have also converted a knitted dishcloth pattern to a pdf file, and I am going to try to figure out how to transfer that as well.




This is a picture of the outside of the cover that I ordered. I shopped carefully for this item. The one Kindle that I am personally acquainted with got an easily cracked screen from being carried around in a tote. The covers on this one are fairly stiff. The Kindle slides in from the top so it can't slide out the bottom when I'm carrying it around. All of the necessary buttons or ports are available. It can be held for tablet-type use or it will stand as an easel, which should be useful in restaurants or when knitting. I have not invested in a light because I think I have one here somewhere which will work. I am thinking of knitting a thickly felted slipcase with outer pockets that will hold the charger/cord and the light. That will give extra protection for travel and help me keep up with the accessories. I have been pleased with the felted camera case that I made.
Any gripes so far? One. I am really glad to have adjustable size font if I need it. However, the lettering on the keyboard is extremely tiny in gray on a white background. For the QWERTY part, that's not so bad, but for some of the function keys, the font is very small. I know that this seetup is more aesthetically pleasing, but I would have preferred bigger, high-contrast letters.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Very cool! I think the reasons you have for buying one are excellent. Congratulations on your new purchase. And let me finish by saying I love the cover! That tree is one of my favorite symbols, and books are modern trees of knowledge.

VeganCraftastic said...

Very cool, a friend of mine has one and it was really neat and easy to read.

FugueStateKnits said...

Me too! It's the best! I love having one around - and can add documents, such as knitting patterns and bits of the law I need for court- it's really nice and very very readable:)! My latest download was John Waters' recent book, Role Models, LOL:) Hard to keep from giggling in court, LOL!

Deb said...

I got one for Christmas, and I love it, especially for reading in bed! I've bought some books, but there are a lot of free books (classics, and books that are in the public domain) available too. Enjoy!

Knittinreed said...

Congratulations!! Although I don't have one, my friends who do love them!!!