Thursday, June 10, 2010

Knitting as Therapy

Right now I have two lace projects OTN. Both of them are stalled. The first was my Knitting Olympics project, an Argus Shawl. I got to the last motif and messed up. It was not entirely my fault; I came down with a galloping sinus infection and some flu-like symptoms. I sat there one night watching curling and messing up lace, not realizing that I was getting sick. Not being able to count to 8 should have been a clue. I'll have to drag it out this summer and see if I can straighten things out.


The second lace project just stopped because of end-of-school craziness. It is a Travelling Woman Shawl, and I am on the last motif with it as well. However, as far as I know, I haven't messed anything up. I had intended to finish it this week and leave the plain socks I was knitting for car knitting. However, fate intervened in the form of some family problems that have taken the entire week. I knew better than to mess with lace this time.


Yesterday and this morning, I worked on that plain stockinette sock, but I was still not satisfied with what I was doing, so this afternoon, I went for the real therapy--a dishcloth. I am about 2/3 of the way through a brand new dishcloth pattern. I'll post a picture as soon as I finish. It's amazing how calming knitting can be, isn't it?



On the Kindle front, I have had mixed success. I am just ripping along through the book that I bought and downloaded from Amazon. It is a good read. It took me a little while to be comfortable reading on the device. For one thing, the above-mentioned situation meant that I was trying to read with interruptions. For the other, I was just aware of the device. I kept thinking things like, "Isn't it neat that I can turn the page with either hand?" "I wonder what a different font size would be like?" right in the middle of my reading. Now that I am accustomed, I don't notice page turning any more than I would with a regular book. I am also going to have to work on a more comfortable reading-in-bed position that doesn't bother my shoulder. That will have to wait until I get a light on my device so that I won't bother my DH. What is holding me back is that I bought a light that would be perfect about a year ago, intending to use it to read books in bed, and I have put it somewhere and can't find it. Having a good look around is on my list for tomorrow morning! I also did not have good luck with the knitting pattern that I tried to move over. I had made my own pdf file using Office 2007, and somehow the font came out really small. It is much too small to read on the Kindle, and it was almost too small to read when I printed a paper copy. I'll have to do some adjusting and experimenting. I've also downloaded a couple of other books in Kindle format. They are in my computer, but I think I put them in the wrong place to readily transfer them to my device. I'll have to read up on directions or check with people on the Ravelry Kindle Group.

No comments: