Sunday, September 05, 2010

Kindle Book Review and Blanket

I just finished reading Map of Bones by James Rollins. I'll include it on the Shelfari list, but I wanted to mention it here because it is a really cheap Kindle download right now. At the risk of offending three authors, let me say that I found the book to be an enjoyable read because it combines aspects of Dan Brown and Clive Cussler, both of whom I enjoy. I did not say that I regard them as great literary figures, mind you--I am saying that they can be depended on for a good entertaining and sometimes thought-provoking romp through interesting places and interesting ideas. Inevitably, one or the other will send me to research something. That is good. If you enjoy either of these authors, you will probably like this Rollins book.


I am exactly 54% through with the baby blanket. If I figured that up, you know that I'm rather frustrated. The pattern is so easy that I keep losing my place in the count! On the other hand, my skills at dropping down several rows to change a K to a P or vice-versa have improved considerably. I was already pretty good at doing that in stockinette, but I have also improved my garter correction skills. Isn't it amazing how you can learn something from the easiest project? I had to correct several spots that needed help because the NASCAR race in Atlanta was more exciting than the blanket.


Have a good Labor Day, and give a thought to our fellow knitters in New Zealand. The conversation about the quake on Knitters Review has been interesting.

No comments: