Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Review

Actually, an audiobook review. I have been listening to an unbelieveable number of audiobooks while knitting and sewing and doing mindless household chores. Most of these are strictly entertainment. I have some really meaty books saved for spinning and knitting when I know that I can really concentrate on the book and its literary quality. This book, however, popped up as what I thought was going to be a touchy-feely sisters reconciled chick book:


All of the blurbs that I read ahead of time suggested that the focus of the book was the two adult sisters and their relationship, and that is indeed the framework for the story, but the background of Russia during the Stalin era and World War II and its effect on a woman with children and on her life after the war overshadows everything else. This book is not an easy listen, particularly if you are a mother, but it is worthwhile. The unabridged edition is over 14 hours, and I got mine from a library OverDrive account, so you can perhaps find it for free.
I will certainly be headed back to read more of this author's work.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I'm behind in reading blogs! I've read several of Kristen Hannah's books but I haven't read this one yet. I especially enjoyed Firefly Lane and Between Sisters. I didn't care for True Colors, however. She reminds me a bit of Jody Picoult's books, although I think Picoult's books have a harder edge in general.