Saturday, October 02, 2010

Frustration and Color Therapy

I made a mistake on the Wallaby and had to frog again! In my haste to catch up to where I was before I ripped out, I knitted very rapidly up the body of the sweater, and I evidently did not slide a completed stitch all the way off the left needle and picked up the bar as the next stitch, thus creating an extra vertical row of stitches with a little hole at the bottom. This would have been an easy correction--I've done it before--if I hadn't knitted 3 inches before I noticed it. I dropped the stitches out, but no matter how I pulled and fluffed, I could not get the existing knitting to rearrange itself to fill the gap. Three inches was simply too much. In desperation, I unscrewed the needle tips, put on the little cable end caps, and ran the half-completed sweater body through the handwash cycle on the washing machine. That's the acrylic blend version of "surely it will block out." It didn't, at least not completely enough to be satisfactory. Tomorrow, when I am sure the sweater is completely dry, I will frog back yet again.
Meanwhile, I knitted another hat and worked on a Christmas sewing project. I am having fun being a little experimental with yarns for the hats. Each hat requires a double strand of yarn, and I am using leftovers. Here's an example of color. The hat on the left is one that I had already posted, knitted from Plymouth Encore Colorspun. On the right, I used the remnant of the Colorspun and a solid navy. Very different effects from the orangey blend.

The Christmas project involves some quilting-type patchwork piecing although no actual quilting is involved. I am attending the quilting group once a month, but I probably will not start an actual quilt of any sort until January because I simply have too many Christmas projects going right now. Anyway, I've always had trouble trying to rotary cut much of anything because my ruler always slid around. I did learn at the class that there are things that stick on your ruler to stop the sliding. The recommended brand was a clear film that goes on the back of the ruler, but locally I was able to find some little stick-on sandpapery dots that do the same thing. My first step on this item was to cut 40 3" squares of cotton, fold them into triangles, steam-press, and fold into smaller triangles to make prairie points. That is as far as I have gotten.

No comments: