Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Finished, Finally!

This particular Wonderful Wallaby turned into a learning experience, mostly an experience in the perils of overconfidence. I did learn some other things, though.



First of all, I like the stretchiness of the garter stitch hood, particularly for children, but I've never been completely satisficed with the way garter stitch kitchener looks. After two attempts on this sweater, I tried a 3-needle bindoff. I think it looks much better. It blends in with the garter rows instead of making a wider furrow between.




I inserted cables into the decrease rows of the raglan:
This girl is getting so grown-up that her next sweater will have to be on a hanger to photograph. I could have tried for an outside picture, but there is blowing dirt and a 40 mph wind.



Yarn is Plymouth Encore, Mauvetone, from Webs.

5 comments:

Solaris said...

Looks great!

Carrie said...

Looks great! She'll be thrilled!

Knittinreed said...

That looks fabulous! And I love the three-needle bind off - it is one of my favorites :-)
Also love the cableing at the ralgan. Lovely.

trikada said...

tre bela!

Anonymous said...

Great hoodie! The three-needle bindoff is good for adding some stability. If you want to try the garter stitch graft again sometime, I found good instructions at http://www.knittingdaily.com/glossary/grafting-garter-stitch.aspx

I was trying Kitchener on my garter grafting yesterday, and wound up doing an old-fashioned graft, just using the knitting needles as stitch holders and doing the actual grafting on a couple or four loose stitches. Much easier to see where the purl bumps or going!