When I measured a shirt belonging to my grandson in order to knit the sweater I'm working on, the shirt that I measured was a raglan sleeve. Needless to say, I couldn't figure out the shoulder width. Today, due to an unexpected change in schedule, I did not get to knit any on the sweater, but I did get hold of the boy and a Stanley carpenter's tape. I got the measurement! Now I can plug everything in to the Zimmermann percentages. I even checked a couple of the other measurements just to be sure I was OK with them.
A fiber story--My daughter teaches a preschool Sunday School class. This past Sunday, the Bible story was about Lydia, who was a seller of purple. That could mean that she sold purple cloth or purple dye or probably both. DD bought some purple Koolaid, and I mailed her some hand carded rolags that I had not spun. They used the microwave and dyed the wool purple. She said that she did not keep the microwave going long enough for the water to become all the way clear because the enthusiastic children had emptied five whole packages into a fairly small amount of water and she didn't want to disappoint them with black. The wool did turn purple, and they were impressed. I realize, of course, that Kool Aid is not exactly the same type of dye Lydia would have had, but wool IS wool!