Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Organizational Baby Steps

For some reason that I don’t quite understand, I seem to have some devices that plug in to USB with cables with a USB miniplug on the end, but that don’t quite fit other miniplug cables. That means keeping up with a cable for each device. That can be something of a nuisance. Amazon was kind enough to label their cable, and it has a microplug anyway, but no one else seems to have done that. I have been toying with the idea of masking tape labels—I can be frugal--but my daughter’s family gave me a label maker for Christmas. I had these little flip top boxes that I used for organizational purposes at school—still have crayons in one and markers in another. Add a label to the outside and labels to the individual cables on the inside, and I’m good.

I need to get some of that two-sided velcro to loosely wrap around each cable to avoid tangles. I’ll have to put that on my list.

These boxes are very nice because they stack rather securely, particularly when they are going into a corner with vertical support at right angles so they can’t be accidentally bumped. I’ve had these for awhile; I need to check and see if I can get some more. And, of course, I am going to want to get label cartridges of different widths and colors, so I did this:

I resisted the impulse to stick a label on the labelmaker itself. You can tell that spending a couple of hours in an ESL classroom yesterday had an effect on me.

No comments: