Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spinning and Reading

My spinning venture has been only moderately successful. I finished spinning in just a few minutes yesterday, but when I tried to ply, the singles which had been on the bobbin for a year and a half were not satisfactory. They had lost twist. I was able to salvage enough of them to ply with my one bobbin of new singles. The old bobbin was bigger, and I finally just cut off the remaining spun fiber and tossed it. I wound a skein, washed it, and hung it to dry. It is reasonably soft, and I think there is about 140 yards of sport-DK weight. I am planning to knit Kink, from Knitty. The quality of my spinning is not yet back where it was before I stopped, but I suppose I should not be surprised by that. I’ll post a picture of the yarn when I wind the ball.

I have not been satisfied with the way I’ve been handling reading using the Shelfari shelf. Sometimes I read just for fun, very light reading that I don’t particularly want to review, but I feel almost forced to justify my literary choice by the Shelfari shelf. I’ve decided that I’m going to read what I want to, and when I find something worthy, I am going to review it in my blog.

I have two reviews today—both for audiobooks.

The first review is for Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer. I added this to my list after reading an article about the author in a magazine. She is a year round resident of Nantucket, and the protagonist sisters of her novel share her background. This is another novel about women finding themselves, but it is interesting, and the setting makes it unique. It is available on OverDrive from both the local library and FLP.

The second review is about a series, the Guido Brunetti series by Donna Leon. Leon is an American who lives in Venice, and Venice is the setting of her novels, which rely heavily on setting for their unique feel. Since I know little about Venice, much of this material, if accurate, is entirely new to me, but it is clear that the Venetian way of life is quite different, as is to be expected when you consider the geography. Brunetti’s struggles to find the criminals in spite of the corruption of the system, the secretive customs of Venice, and the fact that he is exhausted because he never gets to take his vacation add to the twists and turns of plot. I have only one more audiobook available to me, and then I may have to look for Dead Tree versions of the other novels. The author’s web site is interesting, by the way.

No comments: