Friday, January 07, 2011

St. Distaff’s Day

Today is St. Distaff’s Day, the day in medieval Europe when women traditionally returned to spinning in every available moment in order to keep the family clothed.  It followed Epiphany on Jan. 6, which marked the end of sort of a holiday break from usual routine.  If you Google the term, there are some rather interesting web sites.  I thought this would be a fitting day to return to spinning after an absence of more than a year.  It was most enjoyable, and I did quite a bit, as you can see.  I only hope I didn’t overdo since my knees are out of practice.  Notice also that I now have a belt made from the pony bead lace material.  This works great!  I am a little disappointed, though, because I put it on day before yesterday, and it is supposed to glow in the dark, and it doesn’t seem to.  I already have one bobbin of this roving spun from before.  I can’t remember where I got it.  I had originally intended this to be spun and plied in color sequence, but that plan got scrambled with the time gap, so this will be mixed instead of having gradual color changes.

Now I’m off to the kitchen to make chili. 

3 comments:

Knitting is Gluten Free said...

What a wonderful blog post.

Knitting and spinning history is so interesting . . . and so very important. We all need to remember where our roots come from. I had no idea that today was such a special day. Thank you for enlightening me.

Warmest regards,
Lee

Milly said...

Happy St. Distaff's Day. Your bobbin is beautiful!

Deb said...

Spinning -- I haven't tried that....yet. Your yarn is really pretty.