Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Yarn and Pattern Rave

When my husband, who is almost always very supportive of my fiber interests, saw the scarves that I was boxing up for Special Olympics, he said that he would like to have a scarf, too. I excavated in my stash and came up with some of the Plymouth Encore Tweed, Denim, that I had used for my grandson’s sweater. I thought it looked suitably male. The pattern is the One-Row Handspun Scarf by the Yarn Harlot, available for free on Ravelry or on her blog. I wish my photography skills were adequate to show the results well. I have used this pattern before on scarves that I have made, most recently on one of the Special Olympics scarves. I like it because it is reversible and unisex. However, this yarn and pattern combination is outstanding. I can assure you that it is not anything special that I did because I just knitted the way I have before. The stitch definition makes every pearl bump row in the garter sections look like beads, and the columns of twisted knit stand out proudly. I also like the slightly rustic feel of the tweed combined with a denim blue. After its bath, the finished scarf is also very soft and squishy. I’m very pleased!

No comments: