Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Rave

One of the aspects of yarn craziness I have wondered about is the lightning speed with which Wollmeise sock yarn becomes unavailable when it is posted on The Loopy Ewe’s site. Sometimes I think people just go for things because they are hard to get. I’m just naturally suspicious. So, when I won a skein of Wollmeise Twin last year, I looked at it, thought, “Nice yarn!” and put it in my stash. It was, however, one of the skeins that I packaged for my delayed Yarn Harlot-style private sock club. When I pulled out the bag for my second month, I drew that yarn. As you can see from my last post, I have been knitting some lace socks with it. It is a nice yarn to knit with, but it does not feel as smooshy going through the fingers as some others I could name, and since the color is solid, I can hardly rave about the interesting dye job. Then, however, I arrived at the heel flap, which I knitted in the usual slip-stitch pattern. Oh my! The raised stitches are beautiful! They absolutely pop! I’m going to continue with the lace, but my ambition is now to get another skein of this yarn and do one of those twisted knit patterned socks with the raised stitches. And to figure out subtle ways to get people to admire my heel flaps when I am wearing them, of course. The skein has enough yardage that I have hopes of a pair of socks for one of the little granddaughters if her feet are not already too big. We’ll see. Thanks again, Sooner Be Knitting, for the prize!

Joshilyn Jackson's blog, Faster than Kudzu, has a contest for a new book by Mark Childress. Click on the link to go there and enter!

1 comment:

Soonerbeknitting said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the yarn. It's good to hear about that yarn - I have one more skein tucked away.