Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Updates

I am back at work on my red socks:

Laundry, as it applies not to the ordinary washing of what we wear but to a roomful of things that only need to be washed on occasion, is underway.

I am also listening to the audiobook of Kim Edwards’ The Lake of Dreams. I am not quite through with the book. It is long, but it is also emotionally intense. There are books that I just can’t put down, but there are also books that become almost emotionally painful that require me to stop occasionally because reading or listening is too intense and I need a break. This is one of those. I had the same reaction to her previous novel, The Memory Keeper’s Daughter. (If you’ve seen the movie, but not read the book, you missed a great deal.) The novel is excellent. I could not hope to summarize the plot or categorize the type because both aspects are complex. The audio narrator does a great job as well. Another reason I’m stopping occasionally is that I have the feeling that I must appear to my husband to be becoming like Mildred in Fahrenheit 451 wearing those earphones all the time. With a novel like this, it is easy to drift into the setting of the novel and lose awareness of what is around me.

No comments: