Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Recommendations

I must admit that I am generally much fonder of fiction than of biography, but there youthare a few books that have caught my attention over the years.  One of them, Testament of Youth, is a memoir written by a British woman who survived World War I, even serving as a nurse during the conflict.  I read an excerpt that was in a high school textbook, became interested, and ordered the book itself by interlibrary loan. 
The other book written about the same era is The Flame Trees of Thika.  I admit to Thikabecoming interested in it after seeing part of the 1981 miniseries.  The author, Elspeth Huxley, writes about her childhood in colonial Kenya before and at the beginning of World War I.  Seen through the eyes of a child, her life on a coffee plantation is fascinating, but the reader is nevertheless aware of the abuses of colonialism.  The idyllic life is cut short by the war and the Germans. 
Both of these books are interesting looks at life at the beginning of the 20th century.

No comments: