Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Knit, Knit, Review

Finally, some finished knitting to show--

The first item is a finished hat for Hats for Sailors. There is a rather lengthy story behind this project. To read about it and to find out how to participate, click on the button in the right sidebar. There is also a Ravelry group. This hat is knitted by the Jacques Cousteau pattern that is available on Ravelry. If you check the finished projects, you will find instructions for knitting the hat from worsted weight instead of DK. The yarn is Knit Picks Swish worsted in the color Truffle. It is a tad bit darker than the picture shows. The yarn was super to knit with. I used about 1 1/2 skeins.

The Clapotis is finished and blocked and photographed. Now I just need to get the nerve to wear it. I’m not very adventurous when it comes to wearing something swingy with panache. This stole-like wrap makes me feel rather Jane Austenish, and I am having trouble figuring out just how to wear it. Of course, it isn’t quite the “thing” to wear with waffle-weave sweats. There’s that lovely scene in Sense and Sensibility when Emma Thompson is walking with Hugh Grant and her stole slips and he grabs the end of it and helps her redrape it. . . . I figure that I will just be lucky not to trip over the end of mine! The actual color of the yarn is a little more burgundy than the picture shows. The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy from The Loopy Ewe. I used not quite all of two skeins. I was going for the rule of 5, but I left myself a little safety room. The blocked measurement is approximately 7 1/2’ x 22”.

Audiobook Review—A Heartbeat Away is an intriguing scientific/medical/political thriller. Michael Palmer does a good job of keeping the reader involved with changes of scene and plot. If you like thrillers, you should find this book a treat.

1 comment:

Deb said...

The clapotis is gorgeous! I know what you mean about how to wear these lovely creations. I have a gorgeous beaded stole I made several years ago, but I always feel like it's wearing me instead of the other way around. Doesn't stop me knitting them though!