Sunday, July 03, 2011

Knitting Psychology and Weaving FOs and Vocabulary

I am now 8/21 of the way through my mitered afghan.  It is going very slowly, and I have figured out why.  It is the only project that I have OTN right now, other than a pair of red lace socks that I need to finish up.  I will have to look up the chart and all that again for that second sock.  This project is in those discrete little squares, which should make it seem to go faster, but I find that instead of picking it up for a quick row or two in spare moments, I am waiting until I have a block of time (pun accidental, but appropriate) to complete an entire square.  Otherwise, I don’t knit for just a row or two.  I hadn’t realized how much of my knitting was done betwixt and between other activities.  I must get another low-mental-concentration project OTN.

In the title above, “FO” does not mean “Finished Object” as it usually does on a knitting blog.  Instead, it means “Found Object.”  In cleaning out some stored old family items when we sold our business, I found two of the tiny handheld weaving looms.  I know these belonged to my grandmother, because I already have my mother’s.  Hers was a Loomette, in great condition.  These are both Weave-its.  The pin configuration is different.  Here is the 2-inch, in its box:

And here is the 4-inch:

Unfortunately, the box on the 4-inch will have to be discarded because of mildew.  I am going to have to bleach the loom as well.  This box is interesting because the paper tape on the outside shows that the loom came from the Haile Drug Store.  I don’t think that was local here.  I’m assuming it may have been in the Dallas area because that is where my grandparents moved from in the 1920s.  I remember going back for a visit as a small child and going to a really neat old drug store with the soda fountain with the bent wire back type of chairs at little tables.  I think it was in Lancaster.  If anyone knows any history, I would be glad to find out.  Fortunately, warping instructions are available on-line and there is a “Looms to Go” Ravelry group.  These will be fun to use little scraps of yarn.

Vocabulary—While I am quite familiar with the British reference to “bespoke” tailoring and to its use in American English to refer to those wonderfully elegant London-made suits created especially for an individual, I noticed on HGTV House Hunters International yesterday a reference to a “bespoke” door.  I googled and then wikied, and found out that there are many uses of the word.  In the UK, there is even a car manufacturer that operates this way.  And, of course, in the 21st century, the term is even applied to software.  On the program, the door was being described by a British-heritage real estate agent who was selling a French house in Brittany to a British family.  I wonder if this is a word that will sneak into French eventually.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I imagine all old (?) English teachers like us are fascinated by words. Most other people would wonder and let it go; we have to look it up!