Sunday, August 07, 2011

Dear Ann Landers or Dear Abby or Someone

Dear Adviceperson,

After something of a struggle, I have conquered the yoke of this sweater—well, almost conquered it.  I’m not quite to the end yet, but using markers between repeats is helping me keep track of the pattern quite satisfactorily.

Now I need advice.  Obviously, this top-down raglan sweater is knitted in one piece through the lace yoke.  However, in reading the pattern, it appears that the sleeves and body sections are knitted flat and seamed in one long seam on each side from cuff to the bottom of the sweater.  I want these to be as soft and comfy as possible for little girls.  Is there any reason I should not do an Elizabeth Zimmermann and knit the sleeves on circulars and the body back and forth on a long circular?  I know that SHE would probably have done it completely in the round and steeked, but I didn’t want to do that, and I’m not sure how well this yarn would have done.  I know that seams provide some support, but that is the only reason I can think of to make such long seams on this raglan.

1 comment:

Milly said...

I see no reason why you cannot knit the sleeves in the round and the front and back flat and just seam up the sides. Just make sure you are accounting for any pattern that might continue from the body of the sweater to the sleeve. (if any). I am always adjusting patterns to my style of knitting and what works best for me. So go for it.