Monday, August 08, 2011

Pictures at Last

Here are the pictures of my first finished yarn from my Hansencrafts Minispinner.  The fiber is from Sheep Shed Studio, some of the Brown Sheep Mill Ends that they have.  It is great practice fiber.  This was also my first try with my Ogle Lazy Kate, and I was very pleased with it.  I had no backspin issues at all, and it is very easy to set up and very portable.

My first spinning results were mixed.  I let these singles set for about a month before I plied.  The first bobbin had some areas that just did not have enough twist.  The second bobbin was much better.  At least, I improved with practice instead of getting worse.  I really need to work on spinning finer.  With the yarn that I had to discard from the first bobbin, I still ended up with about 350 yards of two-ply.  It is a worsted weight and very soft.  This is not my usual color, so I’m not sure what I will do with it.  I think that I may take a peek at some of Jared Flood’s designs for Shelter to see if he has something that will work for this.  I thought of overdyeing, but I would sort of like to keep this first project “original.” 

The completed skeins:

A closeup:

Thank you to everyone who commented or emailed me with suggestions for the Petal Sweater.  I am going to do the sleeves in the round and the body as well.

1 comment:

Knittinreed said...

Oooohhh! Nice!