Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Best wishes to each one of you for a happy and blessed 2012!

I’m ending 2011 with a quiet happy dance.  My mother’s old recipe box collapsed when I took it down during Christmas cooking, and I simply dumped everything into an empty coffee can and went on.  I decided to follow my daughter’s example and combine my mother’s cards and mine into transparent sleeves and put them in a 3-ring notebook.  The pages came yesterday, so I set to work this morning.  I have been looking for a few years for a recipe that my mother used to make every Christmas that she referred to as “date loaf.”  I hunted through all the relevant categories in her box—candy, desserts, cakes, cookies.  I hunted on the internet sites using the ingredients I remembered.  I had no luck either place.  Today the first loose recipe that I pulled out of the can, actually in a handful of three, was that recipe.  The title on it read, “Date Pudding.”  I’m not sure why, since even the directions describe rolls that you slice, but it was filed with two other puddings.  Even though Christmas is over, I think I’ll get the ingredients the next time I go to the grocery store and make some just because I can.

I also finished knitting the Botanical Cowl last night.  At the moment, it is wet blocking, but I suppose that is my last knitting project of 2011.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I love dates! My mom used to make date bars -- but if she had a recipe, it's long gone. The date pudding sounds yummy!