Sunday, December 25, 2011

A White Christmas

White Christmases are fairly rare in our part of the world.  We do have snow fairly frequently, but we tend to have most of our snows in the early months of the year.  However, there are “those” winters, and this one promises to become one of them.  We woke to the promised light snowfall this morning, hopped in the car, and set off to see our children in Amarillo.  Along the way, the snowfall became much heavier, with the roads covered.  Part of the reason they were covered was because there was such slight traffic.  Just as we reached Amarillo, the roads became relatively clear again.  We went to IHOP for breakfast with our son and his daughter, and then we drove to my daughter’s home for our Christmas.  With an 8-year-old and 2 4s, the gift opening didn’t take long.  We finished preparing our Christmas Dinner fairly quickly and ate it the same way because we could see the heavier snowfall out the window.  After the meal, we headed home, driving our 65 miles though snowfalls although the roads got better the farther we drove—sort of the reverse of the morning.  My daughter’s family needed to go 130 miles north, and they’ve arrived safely as well.  Son and his daughter are tucked in at his home.  I’m sure she’s playing with dolls and talking non-stop. 

Now I can post pictures of the Christmas knitting I didn’t show before.

The Emily Dickinson shawl:

back edited.

The second Moderne-style Blanket for my daughter’s new living room:

photo(11)

And, in a no-affiliation recommendation, may I say that sewsecret4dolls on etsy makes cute, really well-made clothes for the American Girl and similar sized dolls that are easy for younger children to put on and take off.  I can assure you the products were road-tested today!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas today, even if it had to be a little bit brief, like ours.

And, for the final word on the holiday—I GOT YARN!  Pictures will follow when I can get a true color shot set up.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Beautiful shawl! I also really like the blanket. I'm hoping to get a sweater finished this week - I need to block it and sew it together. I just have to wait til I "undress" the dining room table and put its Christmas finery away. That's the only place I have available for the blocking board.