Sunday, January 08, 2012

A Miscellaneous Sort of Day

  • Watched a little television early this morning to see the granddaughters at church.  The televised service from FBC Amarillo is a great boon to grandparents.  One panoramic shot included mom and dad, too.
  • Attended church myself.  Had great fun with the hymns this week—a good tenor behind me and a good bass in the next seat over.  That’s so much better than feeling you are the only one singing!
  • After church, made a flying trip to the grocery store for milk, eggs, BARLEY.  Of course, I came out with more items than that since I rolled past some things that I knew we were out of.  I remember that when I was a girl, my mother used to send me in with money for a loaf of bread—29 cents—because she said that way she wouldn’t come out with a cart full.  Now I know what she meant.  The barley is capitalized because I never found it.  I looked in all the logical places, too.  I also confess to being irritated with the supermarket service.  If a business is going to offer Wal-Mart-type unload-your-own, carry- out-your-own service, it should be reflected in the prices.  And, most importantly, if you must push your cart to the parking lot to unload into your car, there should be some place to put the cart.  You should not have to lock up everything again in order to return the cart all the way into the store.  At least I don’t have small children.
  • We snacked on leftovers for lunch.  After I finish writing this, I’m going to put a roast on in the crockpot for tomorrow’s dinner.
  • After lunch, I knitted on the sweater for the doll clothes while listening to Trap Door by Sarah Graves.   I’m not entirely sure yet, but I’m afraid I’ve been bitten by the gauge monster on this project.  My husband was watching a miniseries about life on a Channel Island during World War II.  I watched part of it, and while it is interesting, I kept comparing it to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and found it somewhat wanting.  However, we haven’t finished it yet, so I’ll reserve judgment.  And I was knitting and listening to an audiobook during much of the film.  That was probably too much multitasking.
  • Tonight was the premiere of the second season of Downton Abbey, and it was great fun.  Perhaps I could have finished my sock, but I kept stopping and turning off the light in order to watch.  Also, the World War I scenes made me feel  that I should perhaps be knitting a dark green sock from one of those Red Cross kits that are available.
  • Yea, Denver and Tim Tebow!
  • Tomorrow I have plans for moving out some more stuff so that I can move fiber items into the extra bedroom soon in order to have a bright and cheerful place to work on my projects.  It’s coming along rather slowly, but it is coming.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I need some clarification about your grocery stores! All of our grocery stores require a shopper to put their bags in a cart and wheel the cart out to a parking lot where the shopper unloads the bags into the car. Then we return our cart to a corral. I haven't seen a carryout service since I was wee one, and that was at a tiny mom and pop store. Occasionally, if you happen to be unloading your cart into your car when a stockboy is collecting shopping carts from the corral, he offers to help you --- but that's because he needs your empty cart!!

I enjoy finding out about regional differences/expectations!

Deb said...

I forgot to add that I just bought a bag of barley on my last shopping trip. It gets moved around -- this time it was with the dried beans, but sometimes it's with the rice! And sometimes the only place I can find it is in the "organic/health foods" (expensive!) section and it's not the usual "cheapie" brand.