Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reporting In (No Pics)

  • Fiber-related activities—Knitted the central cross part of a Mitered Square Blanket square, ready for the log cabin frame strips.  Most importantly, helped the youngest granddaughter weave 1/4 of a potholder on a potholder loom! 
  • Audio books—I had unexpected knitting and listening time because my granddaughter was tired and took a really, really long nap.  With travelling and napping and nighttime listening, I polished off the two shorter audiobooks, leaving only the book on Abraham Lincoln for tonight and tomorrow.  Coincidentally, the Wine Country Mystery novel that I listened to first had an essential plot point involving documents related to the assassination of Lincoln.
  • And most important of all, I got to spend one-on-one time with a granddaughter.  That is hard to come by sometimes.  I need to make more of an effort to do this. 
  • I also have to finish my sock and then slow down knitting for a little while. One of the reasons I got my Cricket loom was for the grandchildren to learn to use.  I thought I had time.  Then someone gave one of them a potholder loom for Christmas, and now all three have potholder looms, and I’m hearing chanting of “over, under, over, under.” 
  • Furthermore, someone published an interesting project today using cord made on a corker to decorate a pillow.  I think the spool knitter might be a little hard for them right now, but I already have lucets on hand for each of them, and I think the square braid would be easier to attach to something.  I just need to work on my technique.  I find lucet cord harder to keep an even tension.  Supposedly Pinterest has a spool knitter made from a toilet paper roll and popsicle sticks, but I can’t visualize that making a very attractive cord, and I think it would be hard to keep an even tension.

When I was a child, I was an avid reader.  At that time there was no public library in our town.  I was fortunate to live across the street from the school and sometimes in the summer, I got to sit in the bookroom and read out-of-adoption readers, no kidding.  My parents bought books for me, and we always had newspapers and magazines.  I remember that one book was something similar to a Whitman Classic, but it was a Roy Rogers story.  I don’t remember the name, but it involved needing to build a suspension bridge over a canyon.  Although I was something of a Roy Rogers fan and although the plot was suspenseful, I remember being absolutely fascinated that the characters made ropes, mostly from horsehair if I remember correctly, to build the bridge.  I must have read that part a milllion times.  Of course, the horsehair cordage that I have actually seen has been braided rather than knitted, and if truth be told, I think it would have taken herds and herds of horses to have enough hair to build a suspension bridge, but nevertheless, I was interested.

No comments: