Saturday, March 03, 2012

A Quick Update

Today I worked on the Ashton Shawlette in the Summer Blooms colorway of Knit Picks Shadow. So far, I am very pleased with the pattern. The description said that it included a tutorial and very specific instructions for beginners in chart reading. Although I’m not exactly a beginner, I sometimes have trouble with charts, and I’m finding this tutorial very helpful, both because the directions are very clear and specific and because the designer has added extra information to the charts themselves that make counting and keeping one’s place much easier. The best thing is that I can see that it would be easy to add this kind of information to other charts, so I am learning something that will be helpful in the future.

Here’s a picture of what I have so far.

photo(20)

I have completed chart 1 and two repeats of chart 2. The pattern calls for 5 repeats of chart 2 but gives instructions, including counts and estimated yardage percentages for adding extra repeats of 2 to expand the shawlette to a shawl, which is what I plan to do. I’m going for nine repeats before moving on to 2A and 3. I hope my delight with the pattern writing continues to the end.

Yarn Note: I am finding the Shadow Tonal to be a quite satisfactory yarn to knit with, but since I am wanting this for a summer wrap, I kind of wish the yarn did not have quite so fuzzy an appearance. I started to go for the alpaca/silk blend, but it is a much finer yarn, and I felt rather insecure of my knitting ability. I still think this will make a nice lightweight shawl since I don’t think I’ll be using all of the approximately 3.5 ounces of yarn.

Book Note: Last night I finished listening to the audio book of We Bought a Zoo. I found it to be moving, entertaining, and informative. I have heard some good things about the movie, but I would really like to see the television documentary-type short series Ben’s Zoo which was on BBC2 before I see the movie. I’ll have to do some searching. Edit: I just found out the episodes are available on line. All I had to do was Google.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I love the color of that shawl! Right up my alley!