Saturday, April 14, 2012

Packing and Reviewing

I’m planning my packing to be away for an indefinite period of up to two weeks.  I will have laundry facilities.  Here’s what I have on my list so far:

  • Sansa Clip and charger—also a car charger so that I can listen to books when driving or knitting.  I need to finish the book I have on it now and load it up as well. 
  • Knitting project—Socks from Claudia Handpainted that I got as a Christmas gift.  I have a small project bag.  I’m planning the Spring Forward socks from the Summer 2008 Knitty because the lace pattern looks very easy.  However, just in case, I’m taking along a copy of the Sheri’s Lace pattern.  It’s more complicated, but I just used it a couple of months ago, so it’s familiar.  AND, I’ve just been informed that I need to take some needles and yarn suitable for teaching someone to knit.  I think the small project bag just became the smaller of my Namaste bags!
  • Nook Color and charger—I considered taking both my Color and the Simple Touch that I prefer to use for day time reading and for the small portability factor.  However, I think that I will be better off with just one device and charger, so I’m taking the bigger one.  I just discovered that I can get the Smithsonian Channel on it since the upgrade, so I plan to do a little more exploring with it.

Now for a review:  I think I like my Nook Color.  It is a refurb that I got at a good price from the Barnes and Noble site on eBay.  I know the warranty is good because there was something wrong with the original device, so I got to check out the replacement process.  It was relatively painless.  I am just now exploring possibilities.  There is a way to turn this into a small tablet for not much more money, but I am not sure that I want to do that.  As it is, I have expandable memory via a microSD slot, wifi, internet access, a number of apps, reading capability, and I can watch movies on my Netflix account and now Smithsonian programs on that channel. I can also access tutorials that I might want for sewing and knitting.  I primarily want to use this as a reader, not for playing games or doing computing, so I’m going to pass on the tablet capability for awhile.

That’s a brief opinion on the reader.  Now for details on the case.  IMHO, the “real” Nook cases tend to be way too expensive for the protection they provide.  I was looking, however, for a sturdy cover that had the capability of being propped as a stand and that would not have a flap flopping around in my way all the time.  This is what I found on eBay for $7.99, including shipping:

photo(43)

Closed cover, showing the corrugated area.  Both sides of the cover are stiff enough to protect the screen from bumps in a purse or tote.

photo(42)

Open, with cover folded behind so that device is compact to hold.  You can see that there is room to reach the N button and that there is an opening for the SD slot, although I truly think you would need to slide the device out to access it.

photo(50)

Propped up in one of a number of reading positions.  The little stand fits into the corrugated area.  It does not work well in all the positions, but it fits into enough different ones to be adjustable.

Cons:  If you are a purist who insists on real leather, this isn’t for you.  It’s pure chemical and petroleum product, but it is sturdy and will be easy to keep clean.  I can also replace it 4 or 5 times before I’ve paid as much as I would have for a real cover.  HOWEVER, there is one problem.  There are no holes on the back to allow the sound to come out of the speaker.  I can make some, but I listened to the difference between the sound muffled and the sound from the naked device, and frankly, neither is loud enough to be adequate for listening while sewing.  For the time being, I will probably just hook up to the headphone jack before I get experimental.  There is also no pocket to slip anything into.  I find that many of the stand-type covers don’t have one.

Note:  I have a synthetic leather stand case for my Kindle from Tuff Luv, a British company.  I did pay a little more for it, but I got it on close out.  It has been such a perfect product that I would have repeated the purchase for the Nook if it had been available. 

No comments: