Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Very Important Knitting Post without a Picture!

I tried, but her not-noticing-I’m-taking-a-picture time span is less than my focusing span, even with an I-phone.  My 5-year-old granddaughter is knitting!  I got some of the Pony children’s needles from Jimmy Bean Wools, made a little ball of some orange Red Heart (her favorite color), and cast on 5 stitches and knitted 8 prep rows for a bracelet.  I’m using a suggestion from a Ravelry group.  It will have a button loop at one end and a cool button closure.  We have about 2/3 of a bracelet now.  I’ve been letting her stop and start when she wanted to.  At first, she would only do a stitch or so at a time, and I had to hold the left needle.  Yesterday, it was a whole row, and I had to hold the left needle.  Today she did two rows, and she held her own needle for almost all the stitches.  I think she would have done more, but we were interrupted.  Tomorrow will be our last day for a week.  Then we will have another week to work on it.  Maybe I can get a pic of the finished object!  And then there are the other two granddaughters. . . .

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I think it's wonderful that you are teaching her to knit. It seems like she's making progress every day. It's a skill that she can use her whole life. I'm anxious to see a picture of her completed bracelet.

Deb said...

How exciting! I learned to knit when I wasn't much older. A blue worsted acrylic garter stitch scarf that I knit and reknit for several years. Don't think I ever finished it, but I was knitting, like my mom and aunt!