Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A New Book

A local writer, Teddy Jones, published her first novel this month.  I halfwidewaited for the e-book edition since I’m trying to have as little to move as possible.  I downloaded earlier this evening, having tried earlier in the week with no cooperation from AT&T.  Then I discovered I couldn’t put the book down.  If you want the publisher’s description, it is available on Goodreads or B & N or Amazon, but here is the review I just posted:

It is now almost midnight. I read nonstop.

Since I come from West Texas myself, I can attest to the authenticity of the characters in this novel. They are the type of people who populate our own special part of the world. Since I am a long-married woman "of a certain age," I can also identify with the struggles that Dorothy Faye has dealing with the changes in her life and in the relationship with her husband Harold and in finding a purpose after the immediate challenges of job and mothering small children are in the past.


I also found it interesting that with recent emphasis on the many contributions introverts make to society, someone whose skill is listening should arrive at an appreciation of her talent so late in life.


Finally, let me add that this book is not just a superficial coming-of-middle-age novel with local color--it is extremely well-written. The dialogue is spot-on for this section of the country. The narration is complex, combining the protagonist's journal entries with standard third-person narration. The use of crossword puzzles is intricate and unique.

 
This novel is an entertaining and thought-provoking read.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Thanks for the review. I have downloaded the book to my Kindle.

Deb said...

I will put it on my to read list!