Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Passage

Tonight I am sleeping for the last time in the childhood home that I first slept in at the age of eleven.  Although we are not quite ready to sell the property because there is still work to be done and items to be sold, after tonight the furniture will be gone to our new home.  The bedroom set we’re taking is the one that belonged to my parents, so in that sense, part of this home is going with me.  I’m not finding this thought as hard as I anticipated.  We are ready to move on to a new phase of our life—we are moving closer to our children and back to a city where we formerly lived and were happy.  Even though I know the Amarillo of now is not the Amarillo of 1984, we have lived near enough and visited frequently enough to keep up with most of the changes, and we are looking forward to it.  I am also tired.  Looking for a place, finding one, and preparing for the move has been almost a two-year process.  We are still not quite as prepared as I had hoped, but on the other hand, we don’t have someone moving in on our heels, so we can take a more leisurely approach to the process of letting go and getting set up.  I think my parents would be happy for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your move goes smoothly (it should do, after all your preparations!). Enjoy your new home.